Mardi Himal Base Camp
Trip Cost-$800 (USD)
(All Inclusive Price)
- Trip Grade-:Moderate
- Max. Altitude-:4100m
- Transport we Usage -:Public + Private Vehicles
- Accommodation-:2 to 3 Star at major Cities And Tea Houses at Trek
This trek is a newly discovered trail that takes you to off the beaten tracks and the treasures of the Annapurna region. You will be treated to stupendous views of snow clad peaks of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Machapuchare and Manaslu. The other highlights of this trek are Mardi Himal Base Camp, Sidhing Village and Lwang.
After a one hour drive from Pokhara, you will commence your trek from Pokhara. The initial stage of the trek is a gradual climb, then a more strenuous climb upto Australian Camp ( 2060 metres ) followed by a descent to Pothana ( 1950 metres ) and then again a climb up to Deurali ( 2100 metres ). You then come to a sign with the post 'Forest Camp' at Deurali from where you take a right turn and follow a trail through forest; initially climbing up and then undulating on top of a ridge. There is a section on this stretch halfway where the path makes a steep drop and then gradually gains height until you make back up to the ridge again till you reach Forest Camp ( 2600 metres ). The ascent from Forest Camp at first is quite steep, but becomes a more gradual climb as you make it back up to the ridge.The departure from Low Camp takes you through forest cover until you come out to the open ridge to be treated to breathtaking views of Machapuchare straight ahead and Annapurna South on your left. Another 4 – 5 hours of trekking on the ridge takes you to Mardi Himal Base Camp ( 4500 metres ) and one can make it back to High Camp in 4 hours. Though this might be a long day, a view point at the halfway mark compensates for the effort with remarkable views.
The final leg is a trek down to Low Camp, then hike to Sidhing, Ghalel and Lwang villages. We then drive back to Pokhara from Lwang.
- Day 01-Arrival at Kathmandu :-After landing in Kathmandu, a representative from Adventure Steps will whisk you away to your hotel. Along with a welcome drink in the evening, you will be given a comprehensive briefing about your trek.
- Day 02 – City sightseeing to UNESCO sites:-Today you will be taken on a full day of sightseeing to visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites like Kathmandu Durbar Square, Boudhanath, Swayambunath ( The Monkey Temple ) and Pashupatinath all within the Kathmandu Valley. A well versed tour guide will accompany you for a guided tour. The evening can be spent browsing and wandering around the vibrant streets of Thamel, its excellent restaurants and souvenir shops.
- Day 03- Drive or Fly to Pokhara:-You can either take the 6-7 hour scenic drive to Pokhara or hop onto the 25 minute domestic flight to Pokhara. However, the 200 km drive to Pokhara has its rewards of views of terraced farms, winding rivers and lush forests. On reaching Pokhara and after checking into your hotel, you can take a stroll along the banks of the river or go boating and enjoy the views of the Annapurna ranges. If you are driving to Pokhara, lunch will be en route.
- Day 04-Pokhara to Dhampus (1600 metres ):-A 30 minute drive will take you to Phedi. The trail head starts from a set of staircases across the road. The significant part of the Dhampus Valley is at 500 metres on the top of a ridge. You will come across a diverse range of ethnic groups like the Brahmins, Chhetris and Gurungs. The stone staircases and frequent dirt road crossings makes the trek more adventurous. The breathtaking views of the Annapurna range makes your camping an appealing experience.
- Day 05-Dhampus to Forest Camp ( 2480 meters ):-The trek today is approx. 6 hours. Most of this section is through enchanting forests of birch trees, flaming rhododendrons, oak, maple, hemlock and daphnia; a naturalist's haven. Camping overnight here is all the more appealing after a arduous hike.
- Day 06-Forest Camp to Low Camp ( 3150 meters ):-As we ascend, there is a marked change in the vegetation with mosses, lichen, ferns and exotic species of orchids that cling unto hardwood trees. The gaps through the trees frame peaks like Mt. Machhapuchare, Mardi Himal and the Annapurna range and form a picturesque backdrop in all its splendour.
- Day 07-Low Camp to High Camp (4100 metres ):-After a revitalizing breakfast, we head off early to make it to the highest point of our trek. Depending on how favourable conditions are, we will ascend up to 15,000 – 16,000 feet. The expansive ice fields and blur glaciers of the Annapurna Sanctuary walls are below us. The stunning views that we are treated to today will be forever etched in our minds. Hike back to camp.
- Day 08-Rest Day:-This day will be set aside for rest as we need to revitalize ourselves for our onward journey. Short hikes here and there can be compensated with more wonders.
- Day 09-High Camp to Sidhing Village ( 1280 meters ):-After breakfast, we make a steady descent down through the cool cover of the forests till we come out unto terraced fields. This is follows a different route to Mardi Khola. As we traverse along the Mardi Khola from the hill settlement of Sidhing, descending through graceful fields, we will pass quaint farms and cross suspension bridges. This region is one of the most scenic and beautiful example of the Nepalese countryside. Overnight stay at camp.
- Day 10-Sidhing Village to Pokhara:-A brief hike and skirting an outcrop takes us to our pick up point where our transport awaits. We will make it back to Pokhara for an appetizing lunch. The soothing climate and the scenic picture perfect character of this place does wonders for your senses. An opportunity to explore the Mahendra Cave, Davis Fall and various placid lakes of Pokhara to add a feather to your cap of picturesque adventure !!!
- Day 11-Drive to Kathmandu OR an Optional 25 minute flight:-Once again a scenic drive back to Kathmandu alongside the winding rivers. Last minute souvenir hunting in Kathmandu and an evening to reflect on your Mardi Himal adventure. Or a 25 minute flight back to Kathmandu.Overnight at hotel
- Day 12-Departure:-We will see you off at the Tribhuvan International Airport on your departure to your home country.